Before Intravenous Anesthesia
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six (6) hours prior to the appointment. You may, however, take normally prescribed daily medications with a small sip of water as directed by your surgeon at your consultation.
- No smoking at least
hours before surgery unless otherwise directed at your consultation visit. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the administration of any IV anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, cough, or sore throat in the week prior to a scheduled surgery please notify the office as soon as possible prior to your surgery date.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with your surgeon at your consultation to see if any changes need to be made to your normal regimen on the day of surgery.